Friday 7 December 2007

Isn't he that french guy?

What's with the funny name for the blog??

anatole brings together some key facets of who I am. Not that I have a penchant for obscure french names (or anglicised french words either). anatole menas something like 'rising dawn' in Greek. I looked it up. It conjures, for me, an image of a distant sun dawning behind a planet shrouded in it's own shadow. Rays reach forward from beyond the edge of the planet promising the new dawn of light on all bound by gravity below. You can see the cover of a mass market science fiction paperback, can't you? Although I suspect that viewing sun and planet from space rules out atmospheric imperfections which renders rays from the sun invisible. Nonetheless, I guess it's obvious that I enjoy reading and thinking about science fiction. So I like the image of anatole.

anatole, the Greek word that the french name comes from, is also a word used in Luke's Gospel to describe Jesus Christ. The rising dawn bringing light and hope to the world. That's a deeper reality of who I am. Someone who seeks to live in the light of Christ and looks forward to the spread of that light that brings peace to all who live under it's grace. And for a long time I've thought about writing about science fiction from my Christian perspective. And well, now's a good time to start. So among other things, that's what I intend to do here. Let me know what you think.

God Bless You.

No comments: